Multi Wall Polycarbonate FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions:
Selection: Clear & Softlite offer max. light and solar transmission. Clear not 100% optically clear. Channels in poly create a vertical pattern. Bronze and white (also called opal or ice) reduce light. White often used to hide dirt and will not accumulate heat like bronze. Bronze expands more, creating noise on large sheets. Figure about 1/16″ per ft. for 100º of temp. change. To avoid problems follow guidelines for the Base & Cap System.
See 8-25mm Poly, some 20 yr & Base-Cap Install
• What thickness to use? Pay now for strength & insulation, or later for more framing to support the sheet and heat.
• What width should I use? 4 ft. easy to install on roofs & walls. 4 ft. crates lighter, costs less to ship.
• Does poly yellow or damage from hail? Polycarb. has warranty to not yellow or be effected by hail – Some 20 Yr.
• Why install with channels vertical? Some moisture gathers in channels, vertical install drains moisture.
• How to cut polycarbonate? Circular saw with plywood blade. Cut sheet before taking off film, or static charge attracts fine chips. Shake sheet, vacuum or blow out channels prior to install. Condensation moving through layers continues cleaning channels. Leave film on sheet until ready to install.
• I left film on poly and can not get it off. Get Fels-Naptha. Wash sheet with this. Pull off film and clean with soap and water.
• How to avoid backup of water into lower edges polycarbonate channels. Follow Eave Details, see Base & Cap Install Details, especially. Vent tape not a solution. Our U-Profiles fit snug. Pressure of screws pinning U-Profile to poly, every 8″, dimples the poly, creating exceptional seal. Small leaks at joints of U-Profile and condensation in the channels drains out via weep holes in U-Profiles.